I Have a Dream To Move To Paris.

I've had this dream for quite a while now. It augments in times of difficulty but overall remains consistently present. It's always there. I'm always thinking about it. I want to live in Paris one day.

The difficulty is that I do have attachments to my home, California. I have my friends here, my sister, my boyfriend, parents, the whole lot. But there's this weird calling that I've always had to move back to Paris and spend some time there. 

When I lived in Paris during my study abroad program it was when I was just opening my eyes to this incredible intriguing life. It also happened to be the first time I lived in a real "city-city" in general (I don't count Los Angeles as one) and so I became addicted to the fast paced, metro-cramming, infinite-cafes-to-choose-from livelihood of the place. There was always something to do, something to see, and for whatever reason every time I go back I truly do feel like I'm in the center of the universe. Where else would anyone want to be?

So as time has slowly developed and I'm reaching my mid 30s this year with no kids, no compelling job that I'm stuck to, I have started to really strategize about how I can do this. If I were to truly be responsible and reach my financial goals that I want to hit in the next year - pay off my student loans, establish a 6-month emergency fund - why would I not at least try it?

I wrote down this week a timeline to share with you. To perhaps, hold me accountable.



If I'm able to accomplish these things in this timeline, then I'll have the opportunity to go to Paris, at least for 2-3 months with the money I will save and even if I don't do jack sh*t, I can at least continue this blog and enjoy my moments of writing and expression. 

It lights a spark in me like nothing else. Shouldn't I feel guilty about not pursuing something that has that much power over me? It's one of those thoughts that come about when one of those high-pitch annoying whiny people ask you 'What will you regret when lying on your death bed?' Ugh. Do I really need to think about that? 

The thing is I've been working in a profession now for over a decade. In case you are wondering, I work in hotel management at the best property in the country, have the best position in the place, and yet I feel deeply deeply frustrated, bored, and apathetic about it on a daily basis. It depresses me to even think that I've given that much time to anything I don't feel will hold a place in my future. Why continue? 

I remember hearing something profound about someone talking about quitting their job, and he mentioned, "Don't forget, you can always go back."

Exactly! Let's say I take this detour and take the time off and realize my former profession actually was for me, then sure I can come back to the career, feeling at least better off than when I left. I would have pursued my passion at that time knowing I tried it.

So here goes.

My timeline to my dream. I have 11 months left. This time next year I'll be writing to you all from Paris, just watch.

Who else is planning something like this with me?




Comments

Popular Posts