The French Way: Beauty in Simplicity




One of the main reasons I feel I connect to the French way of life is their appreciation for simplicity.

Where in the world does one find a shop that is dedicated solely to belts? Yes! A shop that sells only belts. I remember my awe when finding this particular shop somewhere nestled in between two brick buildings in the 6th arrondissement back when I was younger and new to Paris.

Where in the world do you find a deliciously displayed patisserie full of macarons? Only delicately constructed, melt-in-your mouth macarons. No cookies, ice cream, or stationary to go along with it. Just macarons.

I was thinking to myself of enjoying simplicity in my own life tonight.

I ended my typical 11-hour work day of 7:30am - 6:30pm, thinking "Ah, pretty good day." I then trudged along to the gym and gave myself a goal of running 3 miles and completed this. When I got home feeling exhausted and hungry, instead of just ordering something or finding a way to gorge on the peanut butter in my fridge, I decided, No. I'm going to enjoy the simplicity found in this evening at home to myself.

I flicked on the Christmas Lights (both outdoor and indoor currently), lit my lavender scented candle and relished in a hot shower. I got to my kitchen and cleaned up the dishes I lazily set aside for myself to clean from the night before, and started to put together a beautiful feast found in the delicious ingredients of my fridge.

I threw some garbanzo beans on the grill to fry up, and got excited looking at the beautiful orangey yokes of my yes, organic, oeufs sizzling to perfection. I got out the garlic and chopped up the green onions. Am I energetic enough to chop up these tomatoes too? Why yes. Yes, I am. And I started to find the joy in appreciating these little tomatoes that I walked to the store for, these tomatoes that provide me with texture and sweetness to complete my beautiful salade.


And as I finished arranging my petit creation on my petit plate, I sat down with a beautiful glass of red and thought, ah. This is the simplicity that the French believe in. The hard work it is to achieve simplicity in your life and the hard work it is to remember to cherish it.

Bon appétit mes amies. I challenge you to find your simplicity today.





Comments

Popular Posts